MY FAVORITE READ OF THE MONTH
DANIEL MULLIGAN is tough, snarky, and tattooed, hiding his self-consciousness behind sarcasm. Daniel has never fit in—not at home with his auto mechanic father and brothers, and not at school where his Ivy League classmates look down on him. Now, Daniel’s relieved to have a job at a small college in Northern Michigan, but, a city boy through and through, when Daniel arrives in Holiday, Michigan, it’s clear that this small town is one more place he just won’t fit in.
REX VALE clings to routine to keep loneliness at bay: honing his large, muscular body until it can handle anything, perfecting his recipes, and making custom furniture. Rex has lived in Holiday for years, but his shyness and imposing size have kept him from connecting with people. Though he loves the quiet and solitude of his little cabin in the woods, Rex can’t help but want someone to share it with.
When Daniel arrives in Holiday, they are smitten with each other, but though the sex is intense and explosive, Rex fears that Daniel will be one more in a long line of people to leave him, and Daniel has learned that letting anyone in could be a fatal weakness. Just as they begin to break down the walls that have been keeping them apart, Daniel is called home to Philadelphia where a secret is revealed that changes the way he understands everything.
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
What I loved about IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMEWHERE:
1. that cover!!! the intricate plot! the dialogue!
2. authentic, intelligent, and complex main characters
3. the wonderful friendships and complex family dynamics
4. the diverse characters who wove into Daniel’s life
5. beautiful detailed writing: the imagery, the dialogue, the atmosphere
6. the way it made me feel something and everything
7. the immersive world-building and perfect pace of the narrative
8. the humor and love that balanced the hurt and pain
9. how every sex scene was not just erotic but meaningful
10. that epic sex scene against the tree somewhere in Michigan…
And This. Extended Metaphor. Daniel alludes to:
I’ve been working my ass off to get where I am today, and all I can think of is that I’m a fraud.
(Somewhere in a Michigan forest)
“I kissed you, Daniel. Don’t you remember?”
“Hell yeah,” I say softly. My eyes are glued to his mouth.
“I think maybe you want me to kiss you again.” He takes a step toward me. Ninety-eight percent of me is desperate for exactly that. But the other 2 percent is all of a sudden terrified. Terrified in a way I’ve never been before when it’s come to guys or sex. Terrified because it feels like this may be the most important decision I ever make. More important than sticking my hand down Corey Appleton’s pants in seventh grade, proving to myself that I was gay and I would fuck up anyone who gave me shit about it. More important than applying to grad school or taking this job. I can feel it in my gut.
I find myself nodding, but I can’t feel anything else. I can’t smell the trees anymore, can’t hear the irritating chirrup of cicadas that’s been buzzing at my nerves all week. He’s taken all my senses. Every nerve in my body is tuned to his frequency, every bit of my attention focused on the man in front me.
He takes another step forward, pushing me backward with his huge body. But instead of falling, one step puts me back up against a tree. Rex’s chest is right against mine. With every breath he takes, his chest expands, pushing me against the rough bark behind me. He is heat and power and the air between us is electric.
As if in slow motion, he raises his hand. He places it at my neck, stroking my skin gently with his thumb, then in one powerful movement, he puts pressure on my jaw, tilting my head back and my mouth open and then his mouth is on mine and I’m dissolving into his kiss.
I moan when he deepens the kiss. He tastes like nighttime, something dark and fathomless and necessary.
AVAILABLE NOW IN EBOOK & PAPERBACK!
FROM LOVE TO LIKE:
ARCs I Reviewed, Books I Reviewed, Books I Read, and Audiobooks I Borrowed
ARCs I REVIEWED
1. RUNNING WITH SCISSORS by L.A. Witt LOVED!
2. HOTTER WITH A POLE by Delilah Devlin
3. UNDER MY SKIN by J. Kenner
4. PLAYING FOR HER HEART by Megan Erickson
5. TRACKER’S END by Chantal Fernando
6. NOT ALWAYS A SAINT by Mary Jo Putney
BOOKS I REVIEWED
7. Book Review: SUTPHIN BOULEVARD by Santino Hassell REALLY, REALLY LIKED!
BOOKS I READ
8. SCANDALOUS by R.G. Alexander
9. HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy LOVED!
10. CROSSROADS by Riley Hart LOVED!
11. DANGEROUS by R.G. Alexander
12. HOT HEAD by Damon Suede
13. EVERYTHING CHANGES by Melanie Hansen
14. STRANGE BEDFELLOWS by Cardeno C.
15. TRY by Ella Frank
16. TAKE by Ella Frank
17. TRUST by Ella Frank
18. THE TRUTH AS HE KNOWS IT by A.M. Arthur
19. SOMETHING IN THE WAY HE NEEDS by Cardeno C.
AUDIOBOOKS I BORROWED
20. LOVE AFTER ALL by Jaci Burton
21. LET LOVE LIVE by Melissa Collins (MM Romance)
22. ETHAN by Nicole Edwards (MM Romance)